The British Chiropractic Association has some great tips & advice to help maintain those well- intended New Years Resolutions
“Has the festive period taken its toll and you are starting 2019 determined to be fitter and healthier?
January often sees a surge in gym membership with people wanting to loose some unwanted weight or fulfilling a new year resolution to live a healthier lifestyle.
It’s great to want to get moving so here is some advice from the BCA
• Seek professional advice to check that there are no medical reasons why you should not exercise, particularly if you are not normally physically active.
• Remember to warm up and warm down before and after any activity. Start with less strenuous activity like walking or jogging and finish with some light stretches at the end of an exercise session – this may help minimise muscle stiffness and reduce the chance of muscle strain.
• Keep well hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids before, during and after exercise – this will help your muscles work more efficiently and will reduce aches and pains after exercise.
• Make sure you wear the right attire for your chosen activity and the appropriate footwear for the type of exercise you are doing – most specialist sportswear retailers will be able to advise you on this.
• If you are enrolling in a gym, make sure you receive training on any equipment and, if you are signing up to a programme, try and make sure you get proper training, advice and ongoing supervision.”