I know it is a clique but it’s January & goal setting is on the forefront of plenty of peoples minds.
Whether it be healthy eating, reduce debt or more quality time spent with family – preparation/planning is key, especially for any exercise or fitness resolutions.
30% of people experiencing neck or back pain attribute the onset to exercise. Obviously we do not want that statistic to be a deterrent to improving your health & fitness, but instead a motivator to prepare accordingly for any lifestyle changes.
The British Chiropractic Association have compiled a list of tips to help best enable long term, pain free, positive lifestyle changes
” Seek professional advice to check that there are no medical reasons why you should not exercise, particularly if you are not normally physically active.
• Remember to warm up and warm down before and after any activity. Start with less strenuous activity like walking or jogging and finish with some light stretches at the end of an exercise session – this may help minimise muscle stiffness and reduce the chance of muscle strain.
• Keep well hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids before, during and after exercise – this will help your muscles work more efficiently and will reduce aches and pains after exercise.
• Make sure you wear the right attire for your chosen activity. Wearing tight clothes when exercising could constrict your movement and lead to injury.
• Wear appropriate footwear for the type of exercise you are doing – most specialist sportswear retailers will be able to advise you on this.
• If you are enrolling in a gym, make sure you receive training on any equipment and if you are signing up to a programme, try and make sure you get proper training, advice and ongoing supervision.”
So bearing these tips in mind there is no reason you can’t obtain a more productive, healthy & happy 2018!